Astatine - 85At: biological information
Astatine has no biological role.
Levels in humans
- Human abundance by weight: (no data) ppb by weight
- Human abundance by atoms: (no data) atoms relative to C = 1000000
How much astatine is in your body? Find out here.
You can use this form to calculate how much astatine your body contains. Enter your weight in either kilograms or pounds and click the "Calculate" button. You must enter a number, not text! Elements for which there are no data will always give a value of zero for the weight, no matter what you put in the weight box.
Hazards and Risks
Hazards and risks associated with astatine:
Astatine does not occur to any significant extent in the biosphere and so normally never presents a risk. Astatine is studied in a few nuclear research laboratories where its high radioactivity requires special handling techniques and precautions. From a chemical point of view one, can speculate that its toxicity would mimic that of iodine.
- J.E. Huheey, E.A. Keiter, and R.L. Keiter in Inorganic Chemistry : Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4th edition, HarperCollins, New York, USA, 1993.
- S. Budavari (Ed.) in The Merck Index, 11th ed., Merck, USA, 1989.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.