Osmium - 76Os: compounds information
This section lists some binary compounds with halogens (known as halides), oxygen (known as oxides), hydrogen (known as hydrides), and some other compounds of osmium. For each compound, a formal oxidation number for osmium is given, but the usefulness of this number is limited for p-block elements in particular. Based upon that oxidation number, an electronic configuration is also given but note that for more exotic compounds you should view this as a guide only.
In compounds of osmium (where known), the most common oxidation numbers of osmium are: 4.
The term hydride is used to indicate compounds of the type MxHy and not necessarily to indicate that any compounds listed behave as hydrides chemically.
- none listed
- Osmium hexafluoride: OsF6
- Osmium octafluoride: OsF8
- Osmium tetrafluoride: OsF4
- Osmium heptafluoride: OsF7
- Osmium pentafluoride: [OsF5]4
- Osmium tetrabromide: OsBr4
- Osmium disulphide: OsS2
- Osmium diselenide: OsSe2
- Osmium ditelluride: OsTe2
- none listed
- Osmium pentacarbonyl: Os(CO)5
- Diosmium nonacarbonyl: Os2(CO)9
- Triosmium dodecacarbonyl: Os3(CO)12
- Hexaosmium octadecacarbonyl: Os6(CO)18
- Octaosmium trieicosacarbonyl: Os8(CO)23
- Pentaosmium hexadecacarbonyl: Os5(CO)16
- Oentaosmium nonadecacarbonyl: Os5(CO)19
- Heptaosmium uneicosacarbonyl: Os7(CO)21