The following uses for barium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- the sulphate, as permanent white or blanc fixe, is used in paint, in X-ray diagnostic work (BaSO4)
- barite is extensively used as a weighting agent in oil well drilling fluids, and in making rubber
- the carbonate is a rat poison
- the nitrate and chlorate give green colours (CARE!) in pyrotechnics
- sulphide is a white pigment
- making rubber
- rat poison