Neodymium - 60Nd: uses
The following uses for neodymium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- component of didymium used for colouring glass to make welder's goggles
- colours glass delicate shades ranging from pure violet through wine-red and warm gray. Light transmitted through such glass shows unusually sharp absorption bands. The glass is used in astronomical work to produce sharp bands by which spectral lines may be calibrated. Glass containing neodymium is a laser material in place of ruby to produce coherent light
- salts are used as a colourant for enamels
- used in astronomy to calibrate spectral lines
- lasers (to produce coherent light)
- neodymium is used in very powerful permanent magnets - Nd2Fe14B. They are cheaper than samarium cobalt magnets