Beryllium - 4Be: uses
The following uses for beryllium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- X-ray windows (berllium transmits X-rays 17 times better than aluminium
- as a 2% alloy with nickel for springs, electrodes and nonsparking tools
- berllium (2%) alloyed with copper gives a hard strong alloy with high resistance to wear used in gyroscopes, computer parts, and instruments (desirable lightness, stiffness)
- alloys are used as a structural material for high performance aircraft, missiles, spacecraft (such as the USA space shuttle), and communication satellites.
- as a moderator in nuclear reactions since it is a highly effective moderator and reflector for neutrons
- the oxide is used in the nuclear industry