The following uses for samarium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- carbon-arc lighting for the motion picture industry
- SmCo5 used a permanent magnet material with one of the highest resistances to demagnetization known
- used to dope CaF2 crystals for use in optical masers or lasers
- compounds act as sensitizers for phosphors excited in the infrared
- the oxide is catalytic for the dehydration and dehydrogenation of ethanol
- absorber in nuclear reactors