Chromium - 24Cr: uses
The following uses for chromium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- used to harden steel, to manufacture stainless steel, and to form alloys
- used in plating to produce a hard, beautiful surface and to prevent corrosion.
- used to give glass an emerald green colour. It is responsible for the green colour of emeralds and the red colour of rubies
- wide use as a catalyst
- dichromates such as K2Cr2O7 are oxidising agents and are used in quantitative analysis and also in tanning leather
- lead chromate as chrome yellow is a pigment
- compounds are used in the textile industry as mordants
- used by the aircraft and other industries for anodising aluminium
- the refractory industry uses chromite for forming bricks and shapes, as it has a high melting point, moderate thermal expansion, and stable crystalline structure
- tanning leather