Fluorine - 9F: uses
The following uses for fluorine are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- fluorine and its compounds are used in producing isotopically fractionated uranium (from UF6)
- commercial fluorochemicals, including many well known high-temperature plastics
- hydrofluoric acid is extensively used for etching the glass of light bulbs, etc.
- fluorochloro hydrocarbons are used extensively in air conditioning and refrigeration
- in small amounts, fluorides in water sources prevent tooth decay. A constituent of toothpaste for the same reason. Soluble fluoride in drinking water (2 ppm) may cause mottled enamel in teeth of children acquiring permanent teeth.