Palladium - 46Pd: uses
The following uses for palladium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- finely divided palladium is a good catalyst for hydrogenation and dehydrogenation reactions
- alloyed for use in jewellery. White gold is an alloy of gold decolourised by the addition of palladium
- can be beaten into leaf as thin as 1/250000 inch
- dentistry (crowns)
- used in fine instruments such as watches and some surgical instruments
- used to make electrical contacts
- used to purify hydrogen gas
Palladium is perhaps a more affordable metal than platinum and gold. Palladium is one of the whitest metals available for jewelry. This is a palladium wedding ring supplied by Superior Wedding Rings. It is palladium PD950 (95% palladium 5% rhodium).